Xiaomi, the third largest smartphone brand in the world right now, has introduced something which it names as ‘Mi Air Charge’ Technology, and calls it a giant leap forward in wireless charging technology.
FORGET ABOUT CABLES AND CHARGING STANDS WITH REVOLUTIONARY MI AIR CHARGE TECHNOLOGY
The Mi Air Charge Technology operates in the following ways as we have known:
“The core technology of Xiaomi’s remote charging lies in space positioning and energy transmission. Xiaomi’s self-developed isolated charging pile has five phase interference antennas built in, which can accurately detect the location of the smartphone. A phase control array composed of 144 antennas transmits millimeter-wide waves directly to the phone through beamforming.
On the smartphone side, Xiaomi has also developed a miniaturized antenna array with built-in “beacon antenna” and “receiving antenna array”. Beacon antenna broadcasts position information with low power consumption. The receiving antenna array composed of 14 antennas converts the millimeter wave signal emitted by the charging pile into electric energy through the rectifier circuit, to turn the sci-fi charging experience into reality.”
Easy Version: The Charging Pile detects your smartphone accurately in the room, and then it creates a flow of narrow beams towards your phone which, the phone, in turn, converts to charge.
We're excited to bring you the remote charging technology - Mi Air Charge Technology! Charge multiple devices simultaneously while you're gaming, walking around or even when something's in the way, no strings attached. Another giant leap forward in wireless charging technology! pic.twitter.com/wEoB10wOQ2— Xiaomi (@Xiaomi) January 29, 2021
At the moment, as we are speaking, the technology is under development as Xiaomi tells us, and they also made some interesting claims about this new technology and why it will make a difference:
- It is capable of 5-watt remote charging for a single device
- It is capable of charging multiple devices at the same time
- It is capable of charging from a distance of several meters
- Even if something comes in between the device and the charging pile, it won’t be a hurdle
Now, all of these amazing futuristic innovations, sounds perfect, right?
Well then, here come the possible downsides of the ‘Mi Air Charge’ –
- Earlier to Xiaomi, wireless air charging tech like Motherbox, Wi-Charge, Energous, etc. failed – Miserably.
- The power delivery Xiaomi is offering per device, is only 5 watts, not to mention the humongous 120W/80W/65W wired bricks, which make this new tech look a bit old fashioned.
- The abundance of receiving antennae, namely 14 and a beacon antenna from the smartphone side itself, makes this very very very power consuming and also, the process itself, constantly locating your phone and keep delivering the power, is too wasteful.
- The size of the Charging Pile is, uhm, look for yourself.
- The size indicates the pricing, which is surely to be a lot, if this tech ever gets retailed.
- The Ecosystem of this tech requires you to have a Xiaomi phone as a must, and not just any other smartphone, which makes it a lot harder to get a grasp on this.
- People are raising questions about the healthiness of this due to the immense amount of beams from the charging pile which come with the risk of potential radioactivity.
This technology is still in its incubation period. Xiaomi did not make any product launching statement; neither did it finalize anything about this air charge technology. So, the most we can say is, all the best Xiaomi.
We really hope to see something bright in the upcoming days in this sector, as this truly indicates the future era –
The Era without Batteries,
and also, having to plug in your phones every now and then.
Till then, keep breathing.