Xiaomi, the third-largest smartphone brand in the world right now, has introduced something which it names ‘Mi Air Charge Technology’ and calls it a giant leap forward in wireless charging technology. let us have a look at the world’s seemingly first Over the AIr Charging Technology.
FORGET ABOUT CABLES AND CHARGING STANDS WITH REVOLUTIONARY MI AIR CHARGE TECHNOLOGYXiaomi MI Corporation
The Mi Air Charge Technology operates in the following ways as we have known:
“The main technology of Xiaomi’s non-contact charging is put in space pointing and energy radiation. Xiaomi’s own alone and the humongous charging pile has five-level interference antennas built-in, which can correctly find out and pinpoint the location of the smartphone. A phase control array composed of 144 antennas conveys millimeter-wide waves without any other media to the phone through beamforming.
On the mobile phone area, Xiaomi has also developed a smaller antenna array with a built-in “beacon antenna” and “receiving antenna array”. Beacon antenna works to broadcast the position information with less power usage. The receiving antenna array composed of 14 antennas changes the millimeter-wave signal coming out by the charging pile into electric energy with the help of rectifier circuit, to convert the sci-fi charging system into a reality.”
Easy Version: The Charging Pile detects your smartphone accurately in the room, and then it creates a flow of narrow beams towards your phone which, the phone, in turn, converts to charge.
At the moment, as we are speaking, the technology is under development as Xiaomi tells us, and they also made some interesting claims about this new Mi Air Charge technology and why it will make a difference:
- It is capable of 5-watt remote charging for a single device
- It is capable of charging multiple devices at the same time
- It is capable of charging from a distance of several meters
- Even if something comes in between the device and the charging pile, it won’t be a hurdle in the path of Charging the device and anyone can charge the device easily.
Now, all of these amazing futuristic innovations, sounds perfect, right? Then let us see the dangers of Mi Air Charge technology.
The possible downsides of the ‘Mi Air Charge Technology’
- Earlier to Xiaomi, wireless air charging tech like Motherbox, Wi-Charge, Energous, etc. failed – Miserably.
- The power delivery Xiaomi is offering per device is only 5 watts, not to mention the humongous 120W/80W/65W wired bricks, which makes this new tech look a bit old-fashioned.
- The abundance of receiving antennae, namely 14 and a beacon antenna from the smartphone side itself, makes this very very very power consuming, and also, the process itself, constantly locating your phone and keep delivering the power, is too wasteful.
- The size of the Charging Pile is, Uhm, look for yourself.
- The size indicates the pricing, which is sure to be a lot of this tech ever gets retailed.
- The Ecosystem of this tech requires you to have a Xiaomi phone as a must, and not just any other smartphone, which makes it a lot harder to get a grasp on this.
- People are raising questions about the healthiness of this due to the immense amount of beams from the charging pile which come with the risk of potential radioactivity. So, these things are the problems found in the Mi Air Charge technology.
This technology is still in its incubation period. Xiaomi did not make any product launching statement; neither did it finalize anything about this air charge technology. So, the most we can say is, all the best Xiaomi.
We really hope to see something bright in the upcoming days in this sector, as this truly indicates the future era –
The Era without Batteries,
and also, having to plug in your phones every now and then.
Till then, keep breathing.